Next-Generation Sequencing is Revolutionizing Biology

Next-Generation Sequencing is Revolutionizing Biology

Discover how Next-Generation Sequencing (NGS) is revolutionizing biology by enabling massive parallel sequencing, reducing costs, and unlocking breakthroughs in fields like personalized medicine, infectious disease, and agriculture.

Identifying Unknown Molecules in Blood with Breakthrough Technology

Every human blood sample has about 15,000 small molecules that paint a precise picture of health. Less than 5% of these molecules are known and can be identified. What crucial information are we missing within the remaining 95%? The team at Isospec Analytics has developed a breakthrough technology that identifies unknown molecules at scale for […]

Albicidin: A Potential New Weapon in the War Against Antibiotic Resistance

Albicidin: A Potential New Weapon in the War Against Antibiotic Resistance

Highlights There is a crisis of antibiotic resistance that is compounded by the lack of new antibiotics being developed. A plant toxin known as albicidin is a promising new antibiotic candidate. Researchers have used structural biology to show how albicidin inhibits bacterial enzymes known as DNA gyrase and topoisomerase IV, which are essential for bacterial […]

Making Precision Oncology Available to All

Making Precision Oncology Available to All

Highlights: With the goal of democratizing healthcare, Imagia Canexia Health offers precisiononcology in a box, wrapped with services. Small laboratories may not have the resources to leverage next generation sequencing forcancer patients, but Imagia Canexia can help. Deploying Imagia Canexia’s tech and support in low–resource settings can help peoplewith cancer get targeted treatment faster. Imagia […]

Samba Blog: VITAL vs. VALID

Samba Blog: VITAL vs. VALID

Highlights Laboratory developed tests play a critical role in medical innovation, but there is a long-standing debate over their regulatory oversight. Two competing bills are trying to address the issue: VITAL would maintain the status quo and VALID would transfer oversight to the FDA. The debate hasn’t been settled yet, and according to LDT expert […]

Intestinal Parasite Nibbles to Evade Immune System

Intestinal Parasite Nibbles to Evade Immune System

Highlights Explore the life cycle of Entamoeba histolytica Research has uncovered an entirely different mechanism of cell killing by E. histolytica known as trogocytosis. E. histolytica cleverly disguises itself to evade the human immune response. When food bites back: the intestinal parasite that nibbles When contaminated food or water gives you stomach trouble, you’ve probably […]

Science Deep Dive: Unraveling the mysteries of human reproductive disease with zebrafish

Science Deep Dive: Unraveling the mysteries of human reproductive disease with zebrafish

Highlights  The identification of novel gene functions and populations supports the development of zebrafish as a tractable model  Zebrafish reproduce externally, making CRISPR and other genetic techniques easy to administer  Zebrafish are an attractive model organism for the study of human reproductive diseases   Can the zebrafish ovary help unravel the mysteries of human reproductive disease? […]

Science Deep Dive: Is fermented dairy good for your gut?

Science Deep Dive: Is fermented dairy good for your gut?

Highlights  Probiotics in fermented dairy foods (i.e., yogurt or fermented milk) can improve intestinal health  Condition of the intestinal barrier provides information on the status of your gut health  Cell lines can help us to elucidate the molecular mechanisms explaining the health benefits of probiotics and fermented dairy  A study of the impact of fermented […]

Science Spotlight: Immune Repertoire Sequencing

Science Spotlight: Immune Repertoire Sequencing

A Conversation with Miranda Byrne-Steele, Ph.D. The immune system is a complicated network of processes that protect us from diseases. The adaptive immune system creates a living memory of pathogens you’ve encountered by learning to recognize antigens. Upon infection, antibodies are quickly created to recognize pathogenic antigens for elimination. The adaptability of antibody production is […]

Hydrogels Simulate Heart Pressure in a Petri Dish

Hydrogels Simulate Heart Pressure in a Petri Dish

New techniques using hydrogels are allowing researchers to increase or decrease pressure differences, change mechanical loads, and vary blood volumes in a realistic environment in vitro. These measured values can be simulated in hydrogels that exhibit adjustable viscoelastic properties, which enable such groundbreaking research. Why hydrogels – Dancing to changing tunes In every heartbeat, heart muscle […]